To find out what kind of a student you are, read the following 10 questions and put check marks in the spaces that best describe you:
Always Sometimes Never
1. I complete homework assignments. _____ _____ _____
2. I have all necessary materials when I _____ _____ _____
go to class (book, pencil, etc.).
3. I use the time teachers give us in _____ _____ _____
class to get started on homework.
4. I take good notes. _____ _____ _____
5. I ask and answer questions in class. _____ _____ _____
6. I use tricks to memorize information. _____ _____ _____
7. After reading an assignment in a textbook, _____ _____ _____
I know what I have read.
8. I get along well with my teachers. _____ _____ _____
9. I am good at taking tests. _____ _____ _____
10. I am happy with my grades. _____ _____ _____
Give yourself 2 points for each ALWAYS response, 1 point for each SOMETIMES response, and 0 for each NEVER response. Add up your score.
What Your Score Means
20-15 points: You are a very good student. This booklet will mostly be a review for you. It could, however, help you raise your grades event higher.
14-10 points: You are a student who could be getting better grades. There are tips that can help you.
9-4: You're probably not getting very good grades. The tips can help you change how you feel about school.
3-0: Your grades must be a disaster. :-( We can help.
How Well Do You Know Yourself?
Think about your study habits as you answer these questions:
1. What time is it when I study now? _______________________________
2. What is the best time for me to study? ______________________________
3. How much time do I spend studying right now? _______________________________
4. How much time do I need every day to study? _________________________________
Here's how I can change my study time: ______________________________________________
5. Where and how do I study now?
Quiet room ____________
Radio on ________________
TV on ________________
Take a break ______________
I don't take breaks ________________
6. How would I study best?
By myself in my room. _______________________
Where the family can help. ____________________
Where it is quiet. ____________________________
Here's how I can change my study habits __________________________________________________
7. What subjects are easy for me? ______________________________
8. What subjects are hardest for me? _______________________________
Here's what I can do to make my hardest subjects easier ______________________________________________
9. Do I use a calendar / planner to plan my study time? ____________________________
Here's what I can do to change _____________________________________
10. Do I ask for help when I need it? _________________________________________
Here's what I can do to change ___________________________________________________